Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Craig
Additional media resources available at right. To book an interview, click on the "Book an Interview" button.
Description: Two men filed a complaint with the state of Colorado after a cake artist declined to use his artistic abilities to promote and endorse their same-sex ceremony even though other cake artists were willing to do the job.
Colo. Civil Rights Commission issues inconsistent cake artist decisions
“We commend the commission for reaching the right conclusion that these cake artists should not be forced to violate their conscience, but clearly the commission should have done the same for Jack Phillips. The commission found that these three cake artists have the freedom to decline creating unique cake creations because the artists found the requests offensive, but all Americans should be alarmed that the same commission determined that Jack doesn’t have that same freedom. Like the other bakers, Jack happily serves all people but declines to use his artistic talents to create cakes that violate his conscience. The commission’s inconsistent rulings mean that the owners of these three cake shops may run them according to their beliefs, while Jack cannot. He risks losing his life-long business altogether if he continues to run it consistent with his faith. Such blatant religious discrimination has no place in our society.”
Alliance Defending Freedom is an alliance-building, non-profit legal organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith.
Additional resources: Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Craig
Scroll down to view additional resources pertaining to this case and its surrounding issue
Previous news releases:
- 2015-04-01: Colo. cake artist exemplifies need for state laws protecting religious freedom
- 2015-01-23: ADF: Don’t force cake artist who supports same-sex marriage to speak against her beliefs
- 2015-01-12: Revealed: Colo. commissioner compared cake artist to Nazi
- 2014-07-17: Colo. cake artist appeals govt ‘re-education’ order
- 2014-05-30: Colo. cake artist considering appeal of Civil Rights Commission decision
- 2014-05-30: Artistic expression at stake in Colo. cake artist case
- 2014-01-06: Cake artists are citizens, not government servants
- 2013-12-06: Colo. court denies baker’s freedom in same-sex ceremony suit
- 2013-12-03: ADF: Colo. cake artist shouldn’t be forced to support same-sex ceremonies
Links concerning the art of cake design:
- Buddy Valastro: Secrets from The Cake Boss (Huffington Post, 2011-10-11)
- Charm City Cakes: A little about us
- Charm City Cakes West: Our story
Legal documents, related news, and other related resources available in the right panel when this page is viewed at ADFmedia.org.