Conestoga Wood Specialties v. Sebelius
To book an interview, click on the "Book an Interview" button on any page at ADFmedia.org.
Description: The owners of Conestoga Wood Specialties, the Hahns, are a practicing and believing Mennonite Christian family. They desire to run the company, a wholesale manufacturer of custom wood kitchen cabinet parts, in a manner that reflects their sincerely held religious beliefs, including their belief that God requires respect for the sanctity of human life. Alliance Defending Freedom attorneys and allied attorneys represent the Hahns in a federal lawsuit against the Obama administration over its abortion pill mandate. The mandate forces employers, regardless of their religious or moral convictions, to provide insurance coverage for abortion-inducing drugs, sterilization, and contraception under threat of heavy penalties by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services if the mandate’s requirements aren’t met.
ADF: A family's business is not the government's business
“Every American, including family business owners, should be free to live and do business in a manner consistent with their faith convictions. The cost of religious freedom for these families could be millions of dollars per year in fines that would cripple their businesses and destroy jobs if the administration ultimately has its way in continuing to defend this unjust mandate. Through this brief, the administration is once again sending a clear message that it wants to force families to abandon their faith in order to earn a living. That’s not respect for religious freedom; it’s the opposite of religious freedom.”
- Resource page: Alliance Defending Freedom lawsuits challenging the abortion pill mandate
Additional resources: Conestoga Wood Specialties v. Sebelius
Scroll down to view additional resources pertaining to this case and its surrounding issue
Previous news releases:
- 2014-01-29: Diverse coalition opposes abortion pill mandate at US Supreme Court
- 2014-01-10: ADF to Supreme Court: Gov’t shouldn’t force Americans to choose between making a living and living free
- 2013-11-26: Supreme Court accepts Pa. Mennonite cabinetmakers’ challenge to abortion pill mandate
- 2013-11-04: Pa. Mennonite cabinetmakers answer Obama admin. in brief at Supreme Court
- 2013-10-24: 18 states encourage Supreme Court to hear Pa. abortion pill mandate case
- 2013-09-19: Pa. woodworkers ask Supreme Court to shelve abortion pill mandate
- 2013-08-14: Pa. abortion pill mandate case to be appealed to US Supreme Court
- 2013-07-31: Family business asks full 3rd Circuit to protect religious freedom from Obama mandate
- Matt Bowman: Arms control and those Obamacare contraception mandates (Washington Examiner, 2014-02-12)
- Kerri Kupec: Obama’s selective entrepreneurial praise (Townhall.com, 2014-02-03)
- Matt Bowman: Defending religious freedom from Obamacare (Washington Times, 2013-12-01)
- Matt Bowman: With Obamacare, business doesn’t have a prayer (Washington Times, 2013-09-05)
- Matt Bowman: Free to “exercise” religion, too (Philadelphia Inquirer, 2013-08-16)
Legal documents, related news, and other related resources available in the right panel when this page is viewed at ADFmedia.org.